Prompt #18: Try. What do you want to try next year? Is there something you wanted to try in 2010? What happened when you did / didn’t go for it?
[Ed note: the above prompt is from the #reverb10 twitter movement that sends subscribers daily prompts during the month of December to reflect on the year that passed and manifest what is next.]
In 2010, I tried a real beginner’s drawing class to rediscover a childhood passion and start thinking about an interior design portfolio submission. Discoveries (in no particular order):
- Realized that I still had a skill for drawing and that techniques CAN help you improve.
- Found it relaxing but also tiring to sit for three hours and concentrate on drawing.
- Fell more in love with downtown Toronto – got to visit weekly
- Met some interesting people
- [Apologies in advance] Had a hard time with the nudity, especially the very scrawny man in his 60’s (at minimum) who sat spread eagle. You were warned.
Ultimately though, I realized I view drawing as more of a hobby to pick up and drop off as I please, as opposed to a core part of daily life. Although I do need to be creating something all the time.
I’m glad I did it in the end, no “what-ifs”. When thinking of trying something new, sometimes you just have to bite the bullet, go solo, and book it in your calendar in order for it to get done. You may be trying something for a particular purpose, or just because. Either way, you’ll learn something new and add to the intricate woven fabric that is your life.
In 2011, I’d like to try a writing class around novel creation, character development etc. Or at least read a book on the subject, among other things. I’m going to have to give this one more thought and come up with a plan!
What is ONE thing that you want to try in 2011, just for fun, or as part of a greater life plan. Leave 1 in the comments!